Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Saul Bass Movie Posters


I chose Saul Bass's poster "Vertigo" because he did a marvelous job at summing up the whole story in this picture.  I can clearly tell that the movie is a mystery/thriller based on the spiral movement within the picture.  There is a dark figured man and an outline of a woman at the center of the poster and it led me to believe right away that something big happens between the two of them throughout the movie.  The red background makes me think that a death takes place towards the young woman because she is outlined.  His strategy is very simple and clean, which is a nice refreshing change from some of the other movie posters I've seen.  It's very retro, yet the viewers have a sense of what it's about without giving too much information away.


I find this poster very intriguing to the eye because it's very simplistic, yet it gives off a sinister and horrific theme.  I can tell straight away that this film is a horror film simply based on the bold red background, the single feather with rough edges, and the bold black title on the feather.  Saul Bass did an excellent job on showing the viewers that the movie is mainly going to be about birds, evil crazy maniac birds based on its subtle display.  He always finds a way to incorporate one single important item or idea from the movie to wrap up what it's all about.


I love the way Saul Bass designed this particular poster because it's very simplistic, like all of his movie posters, yet he shows the viewers exactly what the movie is about without it looking cluttered.  I can tell straight away that it is a thriller/romance movie by how the couple is portrayed on the poster.  The man is wearing a priest robe so I know that religious issues is a key factor also the name of the title as well.  I also love how the picture is displayed within the title of "The."  It gives off a sense of mystery between the man and woman.  I find that what makes Saul Bass's artwork so recognizable is how he only uses two to three colors.  It's simple, readable, and it gets its point across.



No comments:

Post a Comment